Sunday 17 August 2014

IELTS General Writing Task 1: Insurance

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.
Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter:

  • describe the item you lost
  • explain how you lost it
  • tell the insurance company what you would like them to do
The question tells you to begin with "Dear Sir or Madam", so we know that it needs to be a formal letter. After that, you just need 3 short paragraphs to cover the bullet points in the question, followed by a formal letter ending.

Model Answer

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to make an insurance claim for an item that I lost while on holiday last week.

The item is a wristwatch that I inherited from my grandfather. Both the watch strap and the face are made of gold, and the watch is worth a considerable amount of money. It also has great sentimental value.

I believe that I must have left the watch on the beach in front of the hotel where I was staying. I did return to search for it, but I can only assume that it was either covered in sand or that it had been washed out to sea.

I took out comprehensive travel insurance with your company, and my contract states that all lost items are covered. I would therefore ask that you review the attached information regarding the estimated value of the watch, and that you process my claim as quickly as possible.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Yours faithfully,

Paul Jones
---

No comments :