Friday 22 August 2014

IELTS General Writing Task 1: Rented Apartment But Cannot Move Into Because Of Your Problem


You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You are due to move into a rented apartment next month but you will not be able to because you have some problems.
Write a letter to the landlord. In your letter:

  • explain your situation
  • describe your problems
  • tell him/her when you think you can move in
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Exam Tip
Make sure that you address all the points in the question. Organise your ideas before you start to write and when you have finished, check your spelling and the number of words you have used.

Model answer

Dear Miss Berry,

As you know, I have rented 41 George Roche Road from you for six months from 15th August. However, I am afraid I will no longer be able to move in on that date, as my plans have had to change because of illness.

During the summer vacation, I was working in a company as a Project Manager. Towards the end of my shift, I slipped and fell on a wet floor and broke my wrist. Luckily, it was a clean break and didn't require surgery. However, it is my right wrist, and so I am unable to write for the time being.

At present, I am at home in Kuala Lumpur until the plaster can be taken off – I think this should be in the last week of September. I will then return to my course in Canterbury and take up residence at 41 George Roche Road.

I hope this will not cause you any difficulties.

Yours sincerely,

Rachel Yu

(164 words)


Source: Delay letter

No comments :